When it comes to makeup, one of those products that highly stands out besides mascara and lip gloss is Foundation.
It is among the easy-to-use makeup products that every girl has in their purse.
Learning how to apply foundation makeup perfectly is how you can make yourself stand out.
WHAT IS FOUNDATION MAKEUP USED FOR
Whether foundation makeup is good for u, is literally up to you. But as the name suggests it’s a foundation for makeup so you wouldn’t want to miss that.
Foundation acts as the groundwork for your makeup so selecting the right formula can help correct your skin tone and creating an overall smooth and even look.
Before applying any other makeup you must start from a foundation that begins the makeup process. Many struggles applying it rightly, but it’s quite easy actually.
CHOOSING YOUR FOUNDATION COVERAGE
There are many different foundation products outside there, so choosing the best match for you is crucial.
FIRST STEP: SELECTING YOUR COVERAGE
- We, Will, be focusing on selecting formulas that have lower pigment percentages for full coverage and not the formulas with higher pigment. The higher pigment ones provide a medium, coverage range.
- Lighter coverage is highly recommended for beginners because it’s simple and easy to use.
- Depending on your choice, a light foundation gives a more natural look, feel, and finish to the skin. This makes it great for everyday wear ideal for occasions you would want to attend. With a lighter foundation, you can always try out more to your satisfaction till you feel it’s okay.
If you get comfortable with the light coverage then you can always move on to the full coverage which is a better choice for skin issues such as acne and:
The full-coverage formulas get trickier to apply though because mistakes are more visible and easily seen. It’s also ideal for people who want to take photoshoots because it provides that dramatic beauty look and touch.
SECOND STEP: FORMULA CHOICE
- Foundations come in many different formulas that vary from cream, liquid to powder form. Each varies differently from the other in how much coverage they provide.
- Liquid and creamy foundations provide that full coverage mostly but the powder ones fall short here and rarely provide full coverage and can’t last a full day needing reapplications.
THIRD STEP: GETTING THE FINISH
- A wide variety of foundations have descriptions of being matte, radiant, natural, and glowing. Getting the right finish sets the difference here.
- Light-reflecting pigments give the skin a radiant finish which is found mostly in foundations that bear the words glow and luminous on their packaging. These are common among people who prefer a dull skin tone and want to look healthier and more youthful.
- The ones described as “natural” don’t contain reflective ingredients and often look more real which makes them good for people with oily complexions.
- After deciding the sort of coverage, the formula you want, and finish then you’re on your way to applying a perfect foundation.
HOW TO PROPERLY APPLY FOUNDATION MAKEUP
Getting that natural look while applying your foundation can be tricky but don’t worry it’s a common problem.
You can follow the below steps.
WASH YOUR FACE – REMOVE DIRT AND OIL
- Use clean water or cleansing water to reduce skin redness
- Use a cleansing mud to remove excess oil on skin pores
- To remove oil and deliver light moisturization use a cleansing gel
- If you have sensitive skin use cleansing milk and more nourishing ingredients
- Flaky and uneven skin tone ain’t a good foundation base, so here we shall use an exfoliating scrub containing hydroxy acid.
Using a facial toner after cleansing is highly recommended to get smooth and even skin.
- You should get a moisturizer with an SPF of 15 or higher.
- An SPF of 15 or higher protects against damaging sun rays and creates that elegant glowing look.
- Sunscreen is required if your using a moisturizer without SPF
APPLY A PRIMER
- Applying a primer smoothens your skin and minimizes pores, it also gets your makeup to stick perfectly without fading throughout the day.
Select from creamy, gel, or powder primers and apply them to your skin with your fingers thoroughly.
COLOR CORRECT YOUR SKIN
- Use a color corrector and cover up dark spots and circles under the skin. Different color correctors have different roles:
- Green ones reduce redness
- The Yellow neutralizes dark spots and shadows on the skin
- Lavender conceals yellow tones
- The pink ones correct blue spots on the skin
- Apply to start from the center of the face spreading it towards your neck and hairline. You will need to use a gentle tapping technique rather than wiping or rubbing. I recommend using your fingers but you can also use a sponge or brush to blend the makeup.
- Use fingers if you desire little coverage
- A brush provides even and light coverage
- A sponge provides more coverage. First, clean it before use
- Blend your Foundation. It should be blended smoothly and make sure you remove noticeable lines from where the foundation starts and ends.
CONCEAL ANY BLEMISHES
Concealer is applied after the foundation
Use the concealer to cover up any blemishes and pimples, here you can use your fingers with a small amount onto any blemishes. Use a sponge to blend the concealed area nicely.
LAST STEP IS APPLYING SETTING POWDER
A setting powder prevents your foundation from sliding and also avoids oil build-up showing onto your skin.
To get the desired finish you apply it across your foundation.
You can head to our tutorials section and watch the step-by-step video. Leave a comment if you liked it.